For new swimmers:
- You will develop more quickly than training by yourself or with "youtube coaching"
- Technique is really important. It is important that a swim coach looks at your stroke and gives you feedback on how to improve it.
- It's really hard to know what your doing right or wrong when your swimming as you cant see yourself.
- Coaches will give you drills to practice by yourself that will help you improve.
For swimmers with a good stroke:
- Swimming laps once a week with a group or club is a great way of having varied sessions that you might not plan by yourself, anyway, it's nice not to have to think about it.
- Here you will get varied sets to do that will develop aerobic fitness and swim strength.
- You will also do drills that will help you become a better swimmer technically. Some common drills use pull buoys, flippers, snorkels as well as rotation and breathing drills.
- Swimming with other swimmers is social and competitive, this makes for really enjoyable training.