Wednesday 10 April 2013

Triathlon Training (Week of 08/04/13)


It's been a busy week and I'm late posting my training plan. I had my first race of the season last weekend in Portlaoise. It went well and was good to blow the rust off my legs. I'm back to training with a bang now in preparation for Valentia on the 11th May. After this weeks training I'm hoping to do 2 weeks strength and distance work followed by 2 weeks focused on more speed and technique. Here is what i'm doing this week.














Monday:
Run: 3.5k recovery pace.
Stretching and foam rolling: 25 minutes.
Swim: Sets with Activ Multisport, 2000m +

Tuesday: 
Swim: 2 sets of breathing every 3,5,7,9 strokes, 50m each. 6 x 25msprint, 25m recovery, 25 second rest. 500m of easy drills, rotation and fingertip drag.
Bike: 15 minute warm up. 6 sets of, 1 min pedal with right leg, 1 min with both, 1 min with left leg, 1 min with both.

Wednesday: 
Run; 8k easy.
Swim: 3 sets of breathing every 3,5,7,9 strokes, 50m each. 5 x 50 msprint, 50m recovery, 50 second rest.
Stretching: 15 minutes.

Thursday: 
Swim: 1000m at medium pace, Include 5 x 25m sprints
Stretching. 20 minutes.
Cycle: 40k TT


Friday:
Swimming: WU, 500m with snorkel concentrating on good body rotation. MS 500m frontcrawl, fast. 3 x 100m sprints with 3 minutes rest. WD 200m with snorkel.

Run: 5k moderate pace, include 3 x 30 second pick ups.
Stretching and foam rolling, 40 minutes.

Sat: 
Brick: Cycle 70k, with as many hills as I can find. Run, 5 k moderate to fast.
Stretching: 45 minutes


Sun: 
Rest Day: Stretching 30 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Eoin this is great. im only new to swimming and if u think back on your first triathlon how many times a week were u swimming? im doing lots of sprints and recovery style training to build up fitness plus legs only/arms only stuff..can u recommend things for beginner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah HOW did I do that, Eoin ha you'll kill me!! Eoghan i mean of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I did my first Tri in 2011 so it's not that long ago! I started from a pretty low base. I learned how to swim in 2010 and 2011 swimming once or twice a week. I got some basic technique lessons and read and looked at some you tube stuff, swim smooth is a good site. I'd say I was swimming 3 times a week coming up to my first Triathlon, I didn't know much about swimming so all I really did was increase my distance / fitness, trying to build to a stage where I could swim 20, 40, 60 up to 80 lengths without stopping. It's different now. Let me know what stage your at and I'll try give you some tips. Are you swimming with your face in the water? Can you breathe on both sides? How many lengths (25m) can you swim without stopping?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings from California! I'm bored at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I love the information you provide here and can't wait to take a look when I get home.
    I'm surprised at how quick your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I'm not
    even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, great site!


    my homepage :: click here

    ReplyDelete